6.6 Discussion Questions and Activities
- How is marketing capital equipment different from marketing MRO offerings?
- What are the marketing implications for your company if buyers stop viewing your primary offering as a shopping good and begin considering it a convenience good? How would you respond to the change?
- Can you market unsought goods? If so, how?
- How does packaging add value for consumers and retailers?
- Identify three television commercials designed to persuade buyers to view the products being advertised as shopping items rather than convenience items. What is similar about the strategies employed in the commercials? Do you think the commercials are successful? Why or why not?
- Identify a product for which packaging adds value and describe how that value is added for the consumer. Identify a second brand for which the organization uses primary packaging to distinguish the brand at the point of purchase, and describe how the package contributes to the branding. Do not use brands used as examples in the chapter. Finally, identify a pure service brand and describe how that service is “packaged.”
- Coach has successfully reinvented and expanded its brand to appeal to new markets in previously untapped categories. Explain how the company has used a brand extension strategy and provide specific examples. (Hint: Coach partnered with Lexus.)