Click the Study Aids tab at the bottom of the book to access your Study Aids (usually practice quizzes and flash cards).
Study Pass is our latest digital product that lets you take notes, highlight important sections of the text using different colors, create "tags" or labels to filter your notes and highlights, and print so you can study offline. Study Pass also includes interactive study aids, such as flash cards and quizzes.
Highlighting and Taking Notes:
If you've purchased the All Access Pass or Study Pass, in the online reader, click and drag your mouse to highlight text. When you do a small button appears – simply click on it! From there, you can select a highlight color, add notes, add tags, or any combination.
If you've purchased the All Access Pass, you can print each chapter by clicking on the Downloads tab. If you have Study Pass, click on the print icon within Study View to print out your notes and highlighted sections.
To search, use the text box at the bottom of the book. Click a search result to be taken to that chapter or section of the book (note you may need to scroll down to get to the result).
View Full Student FAQs
5.9 Help for English Language Learners: End-of-Chapter Exercises
- Use the skills you have learned in the chapter.
- Work collaboratively with other students.
On a separate sheet of paper, create questions from the following sentences.
- My daughter will have to think about her college options.
- Otto is waiting in the car for his girlfriend.
- The article talks about conserving energy.
- We need to reduce our needs.
- Rusha is always complaining about her work.
Underline the prepositional phrase in each of the following sentences.
- Monica told us about her trip.
- I hope we have sunshine throughout the summer.
- The panther climbed up the tree.
- The little boy was standing behind his mother’s legs.
- We stayed awake until dawn.
Place the following sets of adjectives in the correct order before the noun.
- eyes: black, mesmerizing
- jacket: vintage, orange, suede
- pineapple: ripe, yellow, sweet
- vacation: fun, skiing
- movie: hilarious, independent
On a separate sheet of paper, rewrite the positive sentences as negative sentences. Be sure to keep the sentences in the present tense.
- Sometimes I work on Saturdays.
- The garden attracts butterflies and bees.
- He breathes loudly at night.
- I chew on blades of grass in the summer time.
- I communicate well with my husband.
On a separate sheet of paper, rewrite the following paragraph by correcting the double negatives.
That morning it was so hot Forrest felt like he couldn’t hardly breathe. Ain’t nothing would get him out the door into that scorching heat. Then he remembered his dog, Zeus, who started whining right then. Zeus was whining and barking so much that Forrest didn’t have no choice but to get off the couch and face the day. That dog didn’t do nothing but sniff around the bushes and try to stay in the shade while Forrest was sweating in the sun holding the leash. He couldn’t not wait for winter to come.
Once you have found all the errors you can, please share with a classmate and compare your answers. Did your partner find an error you missed? Did you find an error your partner missed? Compare with your instructor’s answers.