9.6 Appendix: Illustrations of Completed Ten–Ten Templates and an Executive Summary for the AddVintner Star
Example of an Organizational and Industry Analysis Template
Give a brief description of your business model including what products or service you are producing or will produce.
We will develop high-tech devices that will significantly reduce the wine aging process. Most wines can benefit from aging. The typical Merlot needs 15 years to age and Pinot Noirs and Burgundies sometimes need 5 years to age. Shiraz-based wines sometimes require more than 20 years.
Describe your customers.
We will target wine connoisseurs, the wine aficionado, upscale restaurants and clubs, wine enthusiasts, and dabblers in sophistication. The wine connoisseur is one who understands the details, technique, and principles of wine as an art and is competent to act as a critical judge. The aficionado includes individuals who like, know about, appreciate and fervently pursue fine wines. The enthusiast and dabblers includes individuals who are interested in wine and enhancing prestige at a reduced price.
List and describe your current competitors.
- Existing wine production companies and distributors
- Wine aging tester at http://www.vinummaster.com/Eng/InfosClefEn.htm
- Wine aging accelerator http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Express-Accelerator-Bourbon-BEVERAGES/dp/B001I2S308
- Any individual or company applying for a wine aging patent
List and describe your potential competitors.
Any business interested in wine aging technology. Companies currently producing wine refrigerators are also a threat.
Who will you purchase or acquire materials, components, resources, or other inputs from?
We will secure local manufacturers to develop the device and will hire local people to assemble the device.
SWOT (consider human resources, R&D, marketing, procurement, manufacturing, distribution, engineering, IT, finance, accounting, and legal)
What are your strengths (products, R&D, supply chain, brand, pricing, core competencies, resources, infrastructure, scalability, and interfaces)?
- The idea
- Creative team of researchers and entrepreneurs
What are your weaknesses (products, R&D, supply chain, brand, pricing, core competencies, resources, infrastructure, scalability, and interfaces)?
- Supply chain
What are the opportunities (growth, market share, product lines, Blue Ocean, complementary products, lock-in, brand, and first-mover advantage)?
- Per capita wine consumption in the USA has been hypothesized to exceed 9 liters.
- Gen X and millennial wine drinking is expected to be high.
- Will try to secure wine connoisseurs, aficionados, clubs, enthusiasts, and dabblers.
What are the threats (substitutes, emerging technologies, new entrants, economic climate, government regulations, and social/culture issues)?
- Market can be easily entered.
- Our research or our competitors may show that it does not work.
- Wine companies may go after our product. For example, expensive wine vintners may take out advertisements to attack our product.
- Wine refrigerator companies.
We also plan on developing a series of complementary products and services. For example, we could engage in wine consulting to producers. We could also introduce a line of wine accessories for consumers.
- Strategy Canvas for existing product compared with competitor or industry
|Meaning||BOF POD POP EXT DIS||BOF POD POP EXT DIS|
|Attribute name||Price||Sophistication||Wine aging and refrigeration||Design|