Senior Software Engineer (Ruby)
About the job
Our Ruby engineers extend, improve and tune a variety of services built on Rails and Sinatra for writing, reading, modifying and buying college textbooks. These services support tens of thousands of students each semester and are actively maintained. We work in one week sprints and typically ship multiple times per week.
About the team
We are a small, distributed team and we try to support each other through peer review and frequent collaboration. Over the last two months we’ve increased our investment in infrastructure automation with Chef (on AWS) to make sure deployments and our environments are reliable and consistent. We are growing.
You have developed good practices over time and have a perspective on the benefits of testing and other ways to improve quality and we want you to share that to help us better serve customers.
You should be:
- Comfortable in an agile environment and in a team
- Familiar with working inside a (US) distributed team
- Helpful, respectful and inquisitive
We welcome women and men that have come to software engineering through nontraditional paths.
About the company
FlatWorld develops and sells high-quality college textbooks online and in print at a fraction of the cost of other publishers. Our business has thrived by supporting both teachers and students for a decade but new management (in August 2016) has lead to greater focus on expanding the 100+ textbooks we currently offer and supporting the business into renewed growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
- At least 4 years of experience with professional software development for the web
- Fluency with Ruby and Rails (or Sinatra)
- Familiarity with modern software delivery practices (like git, automated deployment, AWS, etc)
- Experience working in a rapid release cycle and collaborating with colleagues in other groups
- Strong understanding of how to improve database-backed web application performance
- Exposure to modern front-end tooling like HAML and SCSS is a plus
- An ability to work in the US for a US employer, ideally in Boston but remote US applicants are also welcome
How to apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and a link to a some code you’ve written that you’d like to teach us about to email@example.com. It’s fine to keep this code private, just invite @abdelazer to a private repo if you’d prefer.