Read & modify our textbooks
Start by locating your class
Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World, Comprehensive Edition, v. 1.1
- By: Steve Barkan
- Version: 1.1 other versions
- Pub Date: November 2013
- eISBN: 978-1-4533-6014-9
- Pages: 494
What do you want to do?
New Version Available
Table of Contents:
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: Sociology and the Sociological Perspective
- Chapter 2: Eye on Society: Doing Sociological Research
- Chapter 3: Culture
- Chapter 4: Socialization
- Chapter 5: Social Structure and Social Interaction
- Chapter 6: Groups and Organizations
- Chapter 7: Deviance, Crime, and Social Control
- Chapter 8: Social Stratification
- Chapter 9: Global Stratification
- Chapter 10: Race and Ethnicity
- Chapter 11: Gender and Gender Inequality
- Chapter 12: Aging and the Elderly
- Chapter 13: Work and the Economy
- Chapter 14: Politics and Government
- Chapter 15: The Family
- Chapter 16: Education
- Chapter 17: Religion
- Chapter 18: Health and Medicine
- Chapter 19: Population and Urbanization
- Chapter 20: Social Change and the Environment
- Chapter 21: Collective Behavior and Social Movements
- Chapter 22: Conclusion: Understanding and Changing the Social World
Interested in combining chapters from this book with your own or other third party content?
XanEdu can help.
Learn more »
- Online Access [Required] $29.95
- Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads $49.95
- Online Access [Required] + Black & White Textbook $69.95
- Online Access [Required] + Color Textbook $139.95
- Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads + Color Textbook $159.95
Pedagogical features related to the theme
- Social Issues in the News: Almost every chapter starts with a story from recent media coverage that recounts an event related to the chapter’s topic and proceeds with thought-provoking discussion about the social issue related to the event. Additional discussion elsewhere in the chapter helps students understand the basis for this issue and related issues. This dual treatment of the news story will help students appreciate the relevance of sociology for newsworthy issues.
- Sociology Making a Difference: Discusses a social issue related to the chapter’s topic and shows how sociological insights and findings have been used, or could be used, to address the issue and achieve social reform.
- Learning from Other Societies: Discusses the experience in another nation(s) on a social issue related to the chapter; this box helps students appreciate what has worked and not worked in other nations and thus better understand how social reform might be achieved in the United States.
- What Sociology Suggests: Summarizes social policies grounded in sociological theory and research that hold strong potential for addressing issues discussed in the chapter.
- Theory Snapshots: Many chapters contain these tables that provide a quick reference tool for students to understand the varying theoretical approaches to the sociological topic in the chapter.
- Using Sociology: Almost every chapter ends with a vignette that presents a hypothetical scenario concerning an issue or topic from the chapter and asks students to use the chapter’s material in a decision-making role involving social change. These vignettes help students connect the chapter’s discussion with real-life situations and, in turn, to better appreciate the relevance of sociological knowledge for social reform.
- A brief and unique final chapter, Conclusion: Understanding and Changing the Social World sums up what students have learned about society and themselves and reviews the relevance of sociology for achieving social change.
Steve Barkan’s Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World makes sociology relevant for today’s students by balancing traditional coverage with a fresh approach that ironically takes them back to sociology’s American roots in the use of sociological knowledge for social reform.
See how easy it is to customize a textbook in this 4 minute demo: Flat World Editing Platform Video Demo
This textbook comes with the following materials that you can use in your classroom.Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.Instructor Manual
The Instructor Manual will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a wholeTest Generator
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator powered by Brownstone and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into the following Learning Management Systems*: Blackboard, Angel, Moodle, WebCT. We also support a Respondus Neutral file that you can use to easily import our questions in any LMS supported by Respondus. * Please note that only certain versions of each LMS are supported. Click on Supplements for detailed information
Who's Using this Textbook?
The Flat World MapFind a Peer Near You >