Read & modify our textbooks
Start by locating your class
Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World, Brief Edition, v. 1.2
- By: Steve Barkan
- Version: 1.2
- Pub Date: March 2013
- eISBN: 978-1-4533-5468-1
- Pages: 398
What do you want to do?
Table of Contents:
- About the Author
- Chapter 1: Sociology and the Sociological Perspective
- Chapter 2: Culture and Society
- Chapter 3: Socialization and Social Interaction
- Chapter 4: Groups and Organizations
- Chapter 5: Deviance, Crime, and Social Control
- Chapter 6: Social Stratification
- Chapter 7: Race and Ethnicity
- Chapter 8: Gender and Gender Inequality
- Chapter 9: Aging and the Elderly
- Chapter 10: Politics and the Economy
- Chapter 11: The Family
- Chapter 12: Education and Religion
- Chapter 13: Health and Medicine
- Chapter 14: Social Change: Population, Urbanization, and Social Movements
- Chapter 15: Conclusion: Understanding and Changing the Social World
Interested in combining chapters from this book with your own or other third party content?
XanEdu can help.
Learn more »
- Online Access [Required] $29.95
- Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads $49.95
- Online Access [Required] + Black & White Textbook* $54.95
Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads + Black & White Textbook*
* Moving to color textbooks in the spring of 2017 for the same price.
Sociology: Understanding and Changing a Social World, v. 1.2 (Brief)
WHAT'S NEW IN 1.2:
Version 1.2 of Steve’s Brief book includes the most recent data on the following:
- crime and victimization
- income and poverty
- life expectancy and aging
- marriage and divorce
- medical care
- health disparities
- fertility and population change
- To make sociology relevant for today’s students by balancing traditional coverage with a fresh approach
- To maintain the structure and contents of the best mainstream sociology texts in the market
- SOCIAL ISSUES IN THE NEWS:
- SOCIOLOGY MAKING A DIFFERENCE:
- LEARNING FROM OTHER SOCIETIES:
- WHAT SOCIOLOGY SUGGESTS:
- THEORY SNAPSHOTS:
- USING SOCIOLOGY:
- CONCLUSION: UNDERSTANDING & CHANGING THE SOCIAL WORLD:
In writing Sociology: Understanding and Changing a Social World (Brief), Steve Barkan had simple aims:
Sociology: Understanding and Changing the Social World (Brief) presents a sociological understanding of society but also a sociological perspective on how to change society.
This textbook is suitable for these courses: Introduction to Sociology, Sociology
This textbook is suitable for 2 and 4 year institutions.
Almost every chapter starts with recent media coverage recounting chapter-related events and proceeds with thought-provoking discussion about the social issue related to the event. This treatment of the news story helps students appreciate the relevance of sociology for newsworthy issues.
Discusses a particular social issue and shows how sociological insights and findings can address the issue and achieve social reform.
Discusses the experience in other nations on a social issue related to the chapter, helping students appreciate what has worked and not worked in other nations and thus better understand how social reform might be achieved in the United States.
Summarizes social policies grounded in sociological theory and research that hold strong potential for addressing issues discussed in the chapter.
Many chapters contain tables providing a quick reference tool for students to understand varying theoretical approaches to sociological topics.
Almost every chapter presents a hypothetical scenario concerning an issue from the chapter and asks students to make a decision involving social change. These vignettes help students connect the chapter’s discussion with real-life situations and better appreciate the relevance of sociological knowledge for social reform.
A brief and unique final chapter sums up what students have learned about society and themselves and reviews the relevance of sociology for achieving social change.
The Flat World
Knowledge publishing model allows instructors to
adapt the textbook to the exact needs of their specific
class and student body.
See how easy it is to customize a textbook in this 4 minute demo: Flat World Editing Platform Video Demo
This textbook comes with the following materials that you can use in your classroom.Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.Instructor Manual
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a wholeTest Generator
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.
Who's Using this Textbook?
The FlatWorld MapFind a Peer Near You >