Read & modify our textbooks
Start by locating your class
Principles of Economics, v. 1.1
- By: Libby Rittenberg and Timothy Tregarthen
- Pub Date: June 2011
- eISBN: 978-1-4533-2983-2
- Pages: 913
What do you want to do?
New Version Available
Table of Contents:
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1: Economics: The Study of Choice
- Chapter 2: Confronting Scarcity: Choices in Production
- Chapter 3: Demand and Supply
- Chapter 4: Applications of Demand and Supply
- Chapter 5: Elasticity: A Measure of Response
- Chapter 6: Markets, Maximizers, and Efficiency
- Chapter 7: The Analysis of Consumer Choice
- Chapter 8: Production and Cost
- Chapter 9: Competitive Markets for Goods and Services
- Chapter 10: Monopoly
- Chapter 11: The World of Imperfect Competition
- Chapter 12: Wages and Employment in Perfect Competition
- Chapter 13: Interest Rates and the Markets for Capital and Natural Resources
- Chapter 14: Imperfectly Competitive Markets for Factors of Production
- Chapter 15: Public Finance and Public Choice
- Chapter 16: Antitrust Policy and Business Regulation
- Chapter 17: International Trade
- Chapter 18: The Economics of the Environment
- Chapter 19: Inequality, Poverty, and Discrimination
- Chapter 20: Macroeconomics: The Big Picture
- Chapter 21: Measuring Total Output and Income
- Chapter 22: Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply
- Chapter 23: Economic Growth
- Chapter 24: The Nature and Creation of Money
- Chapter 25: Financial Markets and the Economy
- Chapter 26: Monetary Policy and the Fed
- Chapter 27: Government and Fiscal Policy
- Chapter 28: Consumption and the Aggregate Expenditures Model
- Chapter 29: Investment and Economic Activity
- Chapter 30: Net Exports and International Finance
- Chapter 31: Inflation and Unemployment
- Chapter 32: A Brief History of Macroeconomic Thought and Policy
- Chapter 33: Economic Development
- Chapter 34: Socialist Economies in Transition
- Appendix A: Graphs in Economics
- Appendix B: Extensions of the Aggregate Expenditures Model
Interested in combining chapters from this book with your own or other third party content?
XanEdu can help.
Learn more »
- All Access Pass: $34.95
- Study Pass: $19.95
- VIP Pass: $59.95
- B&W Printed Book: $44.95
About This Textbook:
Interested in an online assessment tool for Principles of Economics? We have that...and it is called FLYX! Watch here this demonstration for more information on FLYX Online Learning and Assessment.
Listen to a podcast here of Libby discussing her textbook to gain perspective on her and Tim's text.
Version 1.1 boasts improved coverage throughout the text including significant updates to: Chapters 20 (GDP, Price Level Changes, Business Cycles, and Unemployment) Chapter 21 (Measuring Total Output and Income) Chapter 27 (Government and Fiscal Policy) Chapter 32 (Macroeconomics for the 21st Century)
Flat World Knowledge is honored to publish the revision of this first edition re-launch of Tim Tregarthen’s acclaimed Principles of Economics book, and proud to bring Tim's remarkable talents as a teacher to future generations of students.
In 1996, Tim published the first edition of his principles of economics textbook to great acclaim, and it became widely used in colleges around the country. That same year, MS made him wheelchair-bound. The disease forced his retirement from teaching at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in 1998. He lost the use of his arms in 2001 and has been quadriplegic ever since.
Tim never let his disease get him down. In fact, he turned back to his love of writing and teaching for inspiration. He obtained a voice-activated computer, recruited a co-author, Libby Rittenberg of Colorado College, and turned his attention to revising his principles of economics book.
Today we are excited to introduce Libby Rittenberg and Timothy Tregarthen’s Principles of Economics V1.1. The authors teach economics as the study of ”choice ” by providing students with an accessible, straightforward overview of economics. This text combines the clarity and writing of Tregarthen's seminal periodical "The Margin" with great teaching insights.
Rittenberg and Tregarthen help students to understand how real individuals actually work with economics. In this new book, the authors illustrate the practicality and relevance of economics with a variety of new illustrations and insights.
The authors take a three-pronged approach to every concept: (1) the concept is covered with a ”Heads Up“ to ward off confusion, (2) a ”You Try It“ section makes sure students are staying on top of the concept and (3) a ”Case and Point“ section that uses a real-world application to harness the concept in reality. For one example of how this plays out in the text see "Chapter 3, Section 2 on Supply." hereThis book is intended for a two-semester course in economics taught out of the social sciences or business school.
This textbook comes with the following materials that you can use in your classroom.Instructor Manual
The Instructor Manual will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a wholeSolutions Manual
For exercises that need a little more explanation, our Solutions Manual will take you step by step through solving the problem and offer explanations on the answer.Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into the following Learning Management Systems*: Blackboard, Angel, Moodle, WebCT. We also support a Respondus Neutral file that you can use to easily import our questions in any LMS supported by Respondus. * Please note that only certain versions of each LMS are supported. Click on Supplements for detailed informationTest Generator
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator powered by Brownstone and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.
Who's Using this Textbook?
The Flat World MapFind a Peer Near You >