Read & modify our textbooks
Start by locating your class
Stand Up, Speak Out: The Practice and Ethics of Public Speaking, v. 1.0
- By: Jason S. Wrench, Anne Goding, Danette Ifert Johnson and Bernardo A. Attias
- Pub Date: October 2011
- eISBN: 978-1-4533-2738-8
- Pages: 350
What do you want to do?
New Version Available
Table of Contents:
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1: Why Public Speaking Matters Today
- Chapter 2: Ethics Matters: Understanding the Ethics of Public Speaking
- Chapter 3: Speaking Confidently
- Chapter 4: The Importance of Listening
- Chapter 5: Audience Analysis
- Chapter 6: Finding a Purpose and Selecting a Topic
- Chapter 7: Researching Your Speech
- Chapter 8: Supporting Ideas and Building Arguments
- Chapter 9: Introductions Matter: How to Begin a Speech Effectively
- Chapter 10: Creating the Body of a Speech
- Chapter 11: Concluding with Power
- Chapter 12: Outlining
- Chapter 13: The Importance of Language
- Chapter 14: Delivering the Speech
- Chapter 15: Presentation Aids: Design and Usage
- Chapter 16: Informative Speaking
- Chapter 17: Persuasive Speaking
- Chapter 18: Speaking to Entertain
- Your First Speech
Interested in combining chapters from this book with your own or other third party content?
XanEdu can help.
Learn more »
- Online Access [Required] $29.95
- Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads $49.95
- Online Access [Required] + Black & White Textbook $69.95
- Online Access [Required] + Color Textbook $139.95
- Online Access [Required] + Ebook Downloads + Color Textbook $159.95
Stand Up, Speak Out: The Practice and Ethics of Public Speaking
Jason S. Wrench, Anne Goding, Danette Ifert Johnson and Bernardo A. Attias
In writing Stand Up, Speak Out, the authors’ goals were simple:
- Help students become more seasoned and polished public speakers
- Emphasize the importance of ethics in communication
- CLEAR OUTLINE OF SPEECH PROCESS:
- EMPHASIS ON ETHICS:
This textbook is suitable for these courses: Public Speaking, Communication
This textbook is suitable for 2 and 4 year institutions.
All three of the coauthors have conducted research on communication ethics and written about the importance of ethics in every facet of students’ communicative lives.
With practicality in mind, the authors developed, Stand Up, Speak Out: The Practice and Ethics of Public Speaking, as a streamlined public speaking textbook. Many public speaking textbooks contain more than 20 different chapters, which is difficult to cover in a typical semester. This textbook is 18 unique chapters and aligns well with semester schedules.
Stand Up, Speak Out’s practical approach and integrated ethical coverage sets it apart from other public speaking texts in the market.
The textbook’s 18 chapters are divided into four clear units of information: introduction to public speaking, speech preparation, speech creation, and speech presentation.
The authors focused on eight specific categories of public speaking ethics content areas: freedom of speech, honesty, plagiarism, ethical listening, ethical research, hate words, diversity and codes of ethics
The Flat World
Knowledge publishing model allows instructors to
adapt the textbook to the exact needs of their specific
class and student body.
See how easy it is to customize a textbook in this 4 minute demo: Flat World Editing Platform Video Demo
This textbook comes with the following materials that you can use in your classroom.Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.Instructor Manual
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a wholeTest Generator
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.
Who's Using this Textbook?
The Flat World MapFind a Peer Near You >