Higher Education Publishing Sales Representative for For-Profit Colleges
Remote - USA Only
We are FlatWorld and we are disrupting the college textbook industry.
About the company
Our mission is to bring textbook prices back down to earth. College professors and For-profit schools are our customers. We make their lives easier by ensuring that their students have access to our high-quality, digital-first textbooks, at prices they can afford. We are growing rapidly.
About the job and team
As a For-Profit College Publishing Sales Representative, you are critical to persuading course developers and purchasing managers at For-Profit schools to adopt a FlatWorld title when they revise a course.
This position requires you to create and develop relationships with current and potential customers. You will be educating potential customers as to the benefits of FlatWorld’s offering, while also expanding our business with existing customers. Great relationships depend on great people, and you are the face of FlatWorld.
You will be compensated generously based on new revenue generated, with no cap on commissions earned. Your compensation will be commensurate with your experience and will consist of a base salary and commissions.
You will be a good fit for this job if you have some prior relationships with course developers / procurement managers at For-Profit Colleges and experience selling to these types of customers. You absolutely must have:
- Experience and existing relationships with some target customers
- Strategic skills to triage a large territory
- Relentless hunger for new business
- Tenacity to see a sale through to the end
- Motivation to reshape an industry
- While you will be part of a team of other Publishing Sales Representatives, this position is remote, so you need to be comfortable working autonomously, while maintaining a strong sense of urgency.
- Create and execute a territory plan, prioritizing prospective customers
- Work to uncover opportunities through prior relationships, conferences, e-mail campaigns and direct phone outreach
- Attain and surpass your sales goal, by building relationships, growing and expanding awareness of FlatWorld as an alternative, listening for customer friction points and issues with their current textbook provider and diagnosing and persuading those potential customers to make the move to FlatWorld
- Develop your skills and refine your selling approach independently: synthesize and apply information and input from peers, management and sales tools and reports, to identify ever-better approaches to drive new revenue in your territory
- Work remotely; travel can be by air and ground as necessary to develop relationship and service your customers. Travel is typically no more than 3-5 days a month.
- Manage company resources with compliance to standards, including company credit card, equipment, and marketing collateral
- Requires 40+ hours per week
Please send your resume and a short cover letter to email@example.com. Our hiring process, while dependent on everyone’s schedules, should take no more than 10 business days in total, from resume submission to extending an offer, and typically follows these steps:
- Shorter screening interview
- More detailed discussion of your experience and relationships with our target For-Profit customers
- Interviews (1 or 2) with members of the management team
We try to be flexible and to be respectful of your time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited College or University
- Superior listening, oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organization and follow through
- Accomplished range of skills from strategic thinking to creative and detailed execution
- Very comfortable with technology and learning new tools. We operate in a Mac environment and you will be using sales tools, systems and software such as Zoom, SalesForce, Slack, Google Suite. Are you comfortable sorting, filtering and running basic spreadsheet reports? Running a mail merge for email?
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
- Ability to forge relationships internally and externally
- Ability to work with and maintain a sense of urgency
- Flexibility for travel overnight