About the job
About the team
We are a small, remote team and we support each other through peer review and frequent collaboration. Each of our engineers specializes in certain components and skills but we share responsibility for our systems. This allows us to work independently and autonomously while still coming together to partner on larger projects. Our investments in testing, infrastructure automation, and code quality let us focus on shipping improvements for users. We listen carefully to others and treat each other, our peers, and our customers with respect. This groundwork means we can actively lead the company in designing and delivering good solutions through software.
You have developed good practices over time and have specific ideas about how to improve quality and listen to customers. You are as eager to teach us what you have learned as you are to learn from others.
You should be:
- Comfortable communicating and working independently in an agile environment
- Familiar with working remotely
- Helpful, respectful, and inquisitive
We welcome women, men, and people of all genders who have come to software engineering through nontraditional paths.
About the company
FlatWorld publishes high-quality college textbooks at prices students can actually afford. Our business has thrived by supporting both teachers and students through our technology platforms, like our online homework platform.
FlatWorld embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
- At least 3 years of professional experience developing in a modern, full stack web framework (ideally, Ruby on Rails with a React or Angular frontend)
- Familiarity with Typescript and SASS
- Experience writing automated tests and ensuring quality in your work
- Comfortable with modern software delivery practices (like git, automated deployment, AWS, etc.)
- Experience working in a rapid release cycle and collaborating with colleagues in other groups
- An ability to work in the US for a US employer
Bonus points for these extra attributes particular to our business:
- Experience in the Ed-Tech space
- Working familiarity with LMS integration and LTI protocols
- Exposure to XML, XSLT, XPATH, and associated tools
How to apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.