This textbook is suitable for the following courses: One-semester General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry courses.
The Basics of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry is a comprehensive introductory textbook for a one-semester course. Written by three specialists, the authors cover all of the expected topics in a short and succinct manner. The text focuses on covering the fundamentals and leaving out the extraneous.
- Discussion of elements and periodic table updated to allow for new elements
- Integration of organic and biochemistry, resulting in a text that is easier to cover in one semester
- Chapter on basic skills (math, units, and conversion factors) now appears in the appendix
- Additional fundamental organic chemistry topics introduced earlier in the pedagogy
- New exercises added and others modified
- Example problems in each chapter illustrate the concepts
- Learning Objectives preview the section
- Key Takeaways and Concept Review Exercises at the end of each section
- Review Exercises at the end of each chapter
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
FlatWorld Homework System
This book is now available with FlatWorld’s Homework System at no additional cost to your students.
With the new, easy-to-use Homework System, you will be able to assign questions and autograde homework. The system includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system (e.g. Canvas, Moodle, Brightspace/D2L, and Blackboard).
Visit the FlatWorld Homework page to learn more.
To schedule a demo for help in setting up FlatWorld Homework for your course, contact your Sales Rep or FlatWorld support.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.
Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.
For exercises that need a little more explanation, our Solutions Manual will take you step by step through solving the problem and offer explanations on the answer.
Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.
- The fundamental definition of the kilogram unit is changing, effective May 2019. Therefore, in Appendix A, section 6, the following changes were made:
- New Figure A.8 caption: The historical standard for the kilogram had been a platinum-iridium cylinder kept in a special vault in France. This will change in 2019.
- Edited paragraph: The size of each base unit is defined by international convention. For example, the kilogram had been defined as the quantity of mass of a special metal cylinder kept in a vault in France. In late 2018, however, an international committee changed the definition of the kilogram to base it on the value of some fundamental universal constants, rather than an object. The change becomes effective in May 2019. For most purposes, the change makes no significant difference, but for some very precise measurements there can be small variations in mass values.