This textbook is suitable for the following courses: American History Since 1945.
The American Paradox takes a comprehensive, nonpartisan approach to understanding the major events and social movements in American history since 1945. Throughout the text, Gillon focuses on the central contradiction of postwar politics and society: Americans expect their government to solve major social problems, but they retain a fear of federal power. Gillon uses politics and culture to serve as the building blocks for the narrative as he helps students continue to find connections between the past and present, so that they can better understand how the story of post-45 U.S. history is a tale of both unity and division—a uniquely American paradox.
- Revised discussion of the Kennedy assassination
- An extensive treatment of the significance of the 2008 presidential election
- Full coverage of the Obama Administration
- Discussion of the factors that contributed to the results of the 2016 election cycle and the election of President Donald Trump
- Revised discussion of immigration and its impact on America’s evolving racial identity
- The rise of ecommerce and social media and how those technologies are shaping modern America
- New coverage of marriage equality, the impact of the #MeToo movement, the emergence of Black Lives Matter, and the relevant but often undiscussed topic of the obesity epidemic in America
- New primary source selections
- Full-color and revised maps and figures for greater accuracy
- Embedded video content throughout the online version
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.
Test Generator - Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Bank File - Cognero
Once you've completed creating your test, the file can be imported into the following Learning Management Systems: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace/D2L, Moodle and Respondus. Files are also available in Word and PDFs.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
Test Bank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.