Human Resource ManagementVersion 3.1 By: Laura Portolese
This book is available with FlatWorld's Homework System at no additional cost to your students. Learn more
- Includes COVID-19 Updates.
- Over 220 hyperlinks to videos and webpages enrich online courses, engage students, and reinforce or augment many of the presented topics.
- Each chapter includes a self-assessment, self-quiz, or other reflective opportunities to develop better self-understanding.
- Grounding in how the “real-world” workplace actually functions, rather than presenting theoretical or ideal situations.
- Special emphasis on communication in a full chapter (Chapter 9: Successful Employee Communication) and information about motivational theories (Chapter 7: Retention and Motivation).
- Supportive learning features in each chapter:
- An opening case illustrates a situation related to the chapter’s topics.
- Learning objectives preview the chapter and help focus the reader’s attention.
- Section exercises help develop critical thinking skills.
- “How Would You Handle This?” feature encourages development of critical thinking skills to better resolve unexpected situations.
- Chapter-ending cases studies bring workplace situations and collaborative learning to life.
Human Resource Management is suitable for courses called human resource management, people management, or personnel taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels in two- and four-year colleges and universities.
Human Resource Management is structured to provide the necessary academic background information about managing people resources while also lending valuable insights from a practitioner’s perspective that encompasses both large and small businesses.
- Version 3.1 includes new information in response to COVID-19 including ensuring the safety of workers; cost containment; coordinating with employees working remotely, often for the first time; video meetings, interviews, and onboarding; building crisis teams; and disseminating effective communications to help employees feel informed and connected to the organization.
- Version 3.1 includes a new Appendix covering the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)’s Body of Competency and Knowledge called SHRM BoCK and Human Resources Certification Institute (HRCI)’s body of knowledge called HRBOK.
- Reflects the recent updates in Version 3.0
- A self-assessment/self-quiz has been added to each chapter. This allows students to reflect more deeply on the material and the skills need for HRM.
- Updated coverage of healthcare.
- Examples now focus on a variety of industries and business sizes.
- Greater focus on talent management and human capital ideologies.
Chapter 1: The Role of Human Resources
Chapter 2: Developing and Implementing Strategic HRM Plans
Chapter 3: Diversity and Multiculturalism
Chapter 4: Recruitment
Chapter 5: Selection
Chapter 6: Compensation and Benefits
Chapter 7: Retention and Motivation
Chapter 8: Training and Development
Chapter 9: Successful Employee Communication
Chapter 10: Employee Performance Management
Chapter 11: Employee Assessment and Talent Management
Chapter 12: Working with Labor Unions
Chapter 13: Safety and Health at Work
Chapter 14: International HRM
Appendix A: The Purpose of Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and HRCI organizations
FlatWorld Homework includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system.
Request a demo
The Instructor Manual guides you through the main concepts of each chapter and important elements such as learning objectives, key terms, and key takeaways. Can include answers to chapter exercises, group activity suggestions, and discussion questions.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
Test Generator - powered by Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Bank Files for Import to Learning Management Systems
For your convenience, we've packaged our test items for easy import into Learning Management Systems like Blackboard, Brightspace/D2L, Canvas, Moodle, or Respondus.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.
Sample syllabi provide useful templates to help new faculty adopters revise their teaching plans to match their assigned FlatWorld textbook or lend insights to existing adopters on how to organize their classes.Download
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here