Learn to Program Using Swift for iOS Development
- John Gallaugher
- November 2018
- Online Ebook Price:
Gallaugher’s textbook breaks down the learning barriers for app creation with a hands-on, video-centered approach. Learn to Program is intended to excite new-to-programming students in non-technical programs of study and will have them building fully functional apps by mid-semester. Students will gain an introduction to core programming and iOS concepts. Version 3.0 has been updated for Swift 4.2, Xcode 10, and iPhone X-series form factor.
- New and improved apps that provide learning examples that bring students from zero-programming background through Swift programming fundamentals and core iOS development techniques. These include the SWAPI app, showing how to load paged JSON data while scrolling, and the Snacktacular app, which is a full-blown social app similar to Yelp and TripAdvisor, supporting Muti-user shared login via Google ID/Password, data that is saved and pushed out to all users in real-time using Google’s Cloud Firestore service, location plotting on a Map, image saving and sharing, and more. In a single class your students can go from zero to full-stack developers!
- Even more Reference content, including animated .gifs, improved graphics, and links to code that can be copied and pasted from GitHub’s .gist.
- A section introducing Git and GitHub, as integrated into Xcode for source control.
- Updated and expanded lecture videos that account for changes in Swift 4.2 (especially in generating random numbers), Xcode 10, and a continuation of the earlier version’s work in prepping apps for the form factor introduced beginning with iPhone X.
- Additional exercises, roughly half of which have video solutions to power even greater student learning and to help faculty provide a better learning environment.
- An updated and improved set of instructor slides, useful for faculty regardless of format: flipped classroom, blended, or traditional lecture.
- Expanded and refined student quizzes at the end of each chapter, plus mid-term tests and final exams, along with answer keys and suggested grading rubrics.
- Continued access to “beta” content that includes updates, corrections, additional videos, and even more learning resources, posted while they are being developed.
- Introduces core programming concepts.
- Covers core iOS concepts.
- Encourages self-directed learning for a variety of classroom types.
- Continuous high-value annual updates, including adding new exercises and additional content to keep this book up-to-date, fresh and exciting.
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.
Solutions manuals, sample exams, video learning segments, workbooks, cases and lab manuals are just some of the extras our books will offer depending on the needs of the course. Click here to see what this textbook offers.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
For exercises that need a little more explanation, our Solutions Manual will take you step by step through solving the problem and offer explanations on the answer.