This textbook is suitable for the following courses: Introductory Economics and Principles of Economics.
This market-leading textbook presents modern economics in a form that’s intuitive, relevant, and memorable to students with no prior exposure to the subject. Taylor and Weerapana have recent and extensive classroom-based experiences, which is seen through their engaging real-world examples. The textbook provides clear explanations of why markets are efficient when the incentives are right and inefficient when the incentives are wrong; and outlines examples of economics choices that students actually face. Version 8.0 gives special attention to key policy questions about the role of the government that are being debated today. This volume encompasses both macroeconomics and microeconomics.
- Now published by FlatWorld at an affordable price in print and digital formats suited to today’s students.
- Incorporates discussion of new monetary developments since 2011, including QE3, taper, raising of interest rates and the move to negative interest rates in some countries.
- Covers the debate about whether the Fed is unwinding its extraordinary policy measures at an appropriate pace, as well as whether the fiscal policy measures implemented in the 2008/9 recession worked, based on academic studies.
- Discusses labor market developments, including the fall in unemployment rates, slow improvement in the employment to population ratios, and the falling labor force participation rate for men.
- Expands the discussion of productivity slowdown, including Robert Gordon’s claim that economic headwinds will keep U.S. productivity growth low in the foreseeable future.
- Stimulating vignettes at the beginning of each chapter.
- Carefully selected, revised and tested problems at the end of every chapter and appendix for the reader to work out.
- Questions for review appear at the end of every chapter. Definitions of key terms appear in the margins or hyperlinked online.
FlatWorld Homework System
This book is now available with FlatWorld’s Homework System at no additional cost to your students.
With the new, easy-to-use Homework System, you will be able to assign questions and autograde homework. The system includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system (e.g. Canvas, Moodle, Brightspace/D2L, and Blackboard).
Visit the FlatWorld Homework page to learn more.
To schedule a demo for help in setting up FlatWorld Homework for your course, contact your Sales Rep or FlatWorld support.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.
Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole
Prefer printable tests? Download our test generator and start creating printable tests today! We offer a test generator for both PC and Mac users.
Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.