Human Relations: Career, Relationships, and YouVersion 3.1 By: Laura Portolese
This book is available with FlatWorld's Homework System at no additional cost to your students. Learn more
- Includes COVID-19 Updates
- Over 130 hyperlinks to videos and webpages enrich online courses, engage students, and reinforce or augment many of the presented topics.
- Conversational writing style immediately engages the reader’s attention.
- Strong organizing framework grounded in emotional intelligence research.
- Practical emphasis on how the “real-world” workplace actually functions, rather than presenting theoretical or ideal situations.
- Focus on establishing and nurturing positive workplace relationships. Avoids in-depth discussions of human resource management or organizational behavior.
- Chapter 13 on career management presents a unique discussion of how to power position in an organization and successfully manage a career to achieve consistent upward growth.
- Supportive learning features in each chapter:
- An opening case illustrates a situation related to the chapter’s topics.
- Learning objectives preview the chapter and help focus the reader’s attention.
- Section exercises help develop critical thinking skills.
- “What’s In It for Me?” feature explains the importance of key topics and how they directly relate to career success.
- Closed-captioned videos bring workplace situations to life.
Human Relations: Career, Relationships, and You is suitable for courses on human relations (also called human relations in the workplace or human relations in organizations) taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels in two- and four-year colleges and universities.
Human Relations: Career, Relationships, and You is structured around an easily understood approach to enhancing students’ current and future working relationships. It features a timely focus on understanding emotional intelligence and developing basic skills to successfully apply the concept in the workplace. This book explains and models effective strategies for initiating and sustaining positive interactions and building healthy working relationships.
Key topics include achieving career success through behaving ethically, embracing diversity, supporting excellent teamwork, channeling conflict positively, making effective decisions, managing stress appropriately, sparking motivation, and exhibiting strong leadership. The book’s informal, yet professional, tone engages learners. Human Relations: Career, Relationships, and You models how students can productively and positively navigate workplace interactions to enhance their current and future working relationships and achieve career success.
New in This Version
- Version 3.1 includes new information in response to COVID-19, including growth in telecommuting, video meetings, impact on leadership styles, addressing new ethical dilemmas, and coping with increased stress.
- Reflects the recent updates in Version 3.0
- Chapter 1: Revised discussion of empathy and compassion.
- Chapter 2: New emotional intelligence quizzes.
- Chapter 3: New chapter covers self-esteem and how to increase self-esteem to achieve better productivity in the workplace.
- Chapter 4: New content on “selling yourself” and persuasion.
- Chapter 7: New presentation of the team building process, team dynamics, and how to handle difficult team members.
- Chapter 10: Revised coverage of unions relocated to this chapter and combined with information on conflict and negotiation.
- Chapter 11: New coverage of the competitive advantages gained from diversity. Extensive new information on cultural intelligence and how to develop cultural intelligence.
- Chapter 13: Revised discussion of resume writing and interviewing.
- New figures in every chapter illustrate concepts.
- New “What’s In It for Me?” features explain the importance of key topics and how they directly relate to career success.
FlatWorld Homework includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system.
Request a demo
The Instructor Manual guides you through the main concepts of each chapter and important elements such as learning objectives, key terms, and key takeaways. Can include answers to chapter exercises, group activity suggestions, and discussion questions.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
Test Generator - powered by Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Bank Files for Import to Learning Management Systems
For your convenience, we've packaged our test items for easy import into Learning Management Systems like Blackboard, Brightspace/D2L, Canvas, Moodle, or Respondus.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.
Sample syllabi provide useful templates to help new faculty adopters revise their teaching plans to match their assigned FlatWorld textbook or lend insights to existing adopters on how to organize their classes.Download
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here