American Government and Politics in the Information Age is a comprehensive and lively introduction to the vital subject of American Government and Politics. Inspired by students’ familiarity with the mass media and fluent use of communication technologies, the authors also connect the book’s subject matter with these media and technologies. They show how the media interact with and depict the American political system; the similarities and differences between these descriptions and the real world of government and politics; and the consequences these interactions and depictions can have for the public, politics, government, and public policies. The authors also show students how the media can help them intervene productively in politics and get things done.
- Updated throughout to reflect 2018 election -- from campaign spending, to turnout, to results and change in leadership.
- Extensive updates to Chapter 15. Added content on how ideology is affecting the Supreme Court nomination process as well as opinion of and trust in the court. Also includes coverage of Brett Kavanaugh hearings and nomination to the Supreme Court.
- Learning objectives, key takeaways, and key terms in every chapter.
- Civic Education boxes.
- Annotated set of readings accompanies every chapter.
- Links to video and audio clips, political and media websites, and research databases.
- Annotated list of noteworthy fiction and nonfiction films accompanies every chapter.
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
FlatWorld Homework System
This book is now available with FlatWorld’s Homework System at no additional cost to your students.
With the new, easy-to-use Homework System, you will be able to assign questions and autograde homework. The system includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system (e.g. Canvas, Moodle, Brightspace/D2L, and Blackboard).
Visit the FlatWorld Homework page to learn more.
To schedule a demo for help in setting up FlatWorld Homework for your course, contact your Sales Rep or FlatWorld support.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test item files (in Word format) contain many true/false, multiple choice, fill in the blanks, and short essay questions.
The Instructor Manual (in Word format) will help guide you through the main concepts of each chapter such as learning objectives, key terms and takeaways. Many also include explanations and answers to chapter exercises.
Powerpoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole
Testbank for Import to Learning Management System
We have taken our test item file and created files to import into several Learning Management Systems. Click for detailed information and file availability.
- In the Section 15.5 "Enduring Image" callout box, the photo of the Supreme Court justices, caption, and image source have been updated to include Justice Brett Kavanaugh.